Information For Schools
We are happy to receive enquiries from schools throughout the year. Our guided tours offer students the opportunity the see one of the last working castles in the country, learn about the administration of the law through the last 1,000 years, and experience for themselves what it meant to be imprisoned here.
Tours run daily between 10.30am and 3.30pm. Their frequency during the day depends on the use of the castle by the crown court, but all tours last approximately 60 minutes, and if you have any special subject that you would like discussed just let us know.
The cost to schools is £4.00 per head, with 1 adult admitted free for every 10 children and any other adults charged at the child rate.
Pre-booking is essential.
When you book please supply the following information:
- Name and address of the school
- Contact name and phone number
- Age and KeyStage of the pupils
- Number of pupils/staff expected
- How you wish to pay.
- If you want to park a minibus on site during your stay. (Large coaches cannot be parked at the Castle – see below).
We do not ask schools for a deposit but would be grateful if you could keep us informed should your plans change after booking
Payment can be by invoice/card/cheque (made payable to Lancashire County Council) or cash for non-LCC schools, and by card/cheque/cash or Journal Transfer to LCC establishments.
First Aid: while we have a First Aid kit on site, which you are welcome to use, you should arrange suitable cover while visiting the castle.
An electronic version of our risk assessment for schools and a basic teacher’s pack is available at time of booking if you supply us with your email address.
Please contact us on (01524) 64998 for more details and we’ll be happy to help you book your visit
Group bookings (other than Schools)
We welcome visits from groups of all ages both during the day and in the evening.
Admission Prices for Groups:
- All Daytime Group Tours: £6.50 per head.
- A deposit of £130 is required to secure bookings and is the minimum charge for a private group tour. Deposits must be received at least two weeks before the tour.
- Adult Evening Tours: £8.00 per head. A deposit of £160.00 is required, which must be received at least two weeks before the tour date. This is our minimum charge for evening tours for adult groups.
- Child Evening Tours (i.e. under 15s) will be charged the rate of £6.50 per head and a deposit of £130 will be required (as above).
ALL CHEQUES MUST BE MADE PAYABLE TO LANCASHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL- we also accept credit/debit cards and cash.
Our maximum per tour at all times is 49 people but we can organise multiple tours if your group exceeds this number. Please call us on 01524 64998 or in person and we will be delighted to help you with your booking- or you can email us at email@example.com
Unfortunately we are unable to offer parking for coaches on site. Coach parking is available on Upper St Leonardgate coach park which provides convenient access to all city centre attractions. The park is accessed via Edward Street (LA1 1QH).